I wanted this to be so much better than it was!

Pawn  - Aimee Carter

I really don't know where to start with this review. I definitely see potential with this series. I feel like the book could have been so much more but failed to deliver what I expected from the glowing reviews out there already.

Plot. The premise is that at the age of 17 you take a test to get your level in society. IV and up is what you aim for. III and lower, is bottom of the barrel. The society is basically the Haves and the Have Nots. Kitty Doe, our frustrating main character, becomes a III. However she is given the chance to become a VII, the highest level, if she agrees to go with the Prime Minister. She is cloned to be his niece, Lila Hart. She is then put in the middle of a family squabble between the rulers and the revolutionaries.

While the above plot summary sounds intense and action packed the actual story was anything but. The two biggest problems I had with the book were the main character herself and the twisty turning plot. Don't get me wrong, I love a book with good twist. I want to say, "Oh My Gosh" really loudly and be super surprised. This book didn't really do that. There were a couple of OMG reveals but most of the twist and turns and big reveals were things the reader figured out from page 5. Plus there really is a thing called, too many secrets. At one point I really just wanted to scream. The book also suffered from continual lifesaving miracles. Kill a character and keep them dead.  Please.

Speaking of characters, I really didn’t like any of them.

Let’s talk about our MC Kitty. Kitty needs to seriously get her act together for the next book. One moment he is super tough and standing up to evil doers and then the next moment she is weak and scared and afraid to do anything. Also, she has absolutely no sense of self preservation. She could have been done with the whole bad experience many times. She owed these people zilch! It wasn’t even like these were good people.  They sucked!  Yet she kept coming back time and time again.  I think she might suffer from Stockholm Syndrome.

The book itself was a very quick read. I started it on a Sunday afternoon and by that evening I was shocked to realize I have halfway done. The last half is where I got lost. The very ending (like the last few pages) were good but the majority of the last half was rough for me to get through.

Will I read the next one? Not sure yet.