A Super Epic Read...see what I did there.

Steelheart (Reckoners, #1) - Brandon Sanderson

For starters this was my first Brandon Sanderson book.  I know!  I can’t believe it either.  It won’t be my last that’s for sure.

I am not going to give away too many details or give a detailed book narrative.  The book is set in a sort of apocalyptic/dystopian Chicago.    Superheroes rule the city and basically enslave normal citizens.  However there is one boy who wants to bring it all down.  I found the main character extremely likable.  He is a take charge kind of guy, strong, makes tough choices, etc. However he is also goofy, self-deprecating and questions the choices he is making, who he is and what he is doing.  I think it is great to have a MC who is flawed, goofy and questions himself.  He is not a weak person but thinks about his choices, make the decision, stands by it and  then lives with the consequences.  He made for a very entertaining character.  The other cast of characters that make up the Scooby Gang with the MC are all very likable and all different in each way.  The Reckoners all have layers to them which make them interesting parts of the story not just pieces in the background to futher the plot.  The world building was done very well.  It was not an info dump on the first few pages but gradually done as to not overwhelm the reader.  I also loved that the theme of the book is not Good vs. Evil but what is good and what is evil.

I highly enjoyed the first installment of this series and look forward to the next book.  While the book took me a while to read, about a week, I do not think it was because the book was slow or uninteresting.  I think I had a lot going on that week and couldn’t finish it as quickly as one that can be speed read in 2 days.  This is a book that you do not want to skim over any details.  While not nonstop action, I found myself wanting to know what happened next.  The slow parts were just as enjoyable as the action scenes.

While this is a “YA” book I do think it has cross genre appeal.  I recommend that anyone who is looking for a great read that has depth but is also entertaining pick this book up.